CODE OF ETHICS
Beagle Rescue Victoria ("BRV") supports the responsible, ethical rescue of all kinds of animals, both companions and wildlife, but in particular the beagle breed.
BRV recognises that its obligation is to the welfare of the beagles in its care and in the wider community. In order to fulfil that obligation BRV pledges to:
Provide high standards of care for the beagles in its guardianship by:
• treating all beagles with compassion and humanity;
• acknowledging its limitations and enlisting the assistance of a veterinarian or other trained professional when appropriate and required;
• placing optimum beagle care above personal gain; and
• being alert to the beagle's needs, safety and welfare at all times.
Dutifully operate the BRV organisation according to, and in compliance with all federal, state, and local pet and/or wildlife regulations, laws, rules, ordinances, statutes, and codes, and possess the required permits or licence(s) (if applicable).
Support the common goal of responsible concern and welfare of beagles through:
• conducting all business and activities in a professional manner, with honesty, integrity, compassion, and commitment, realising that an individual's conduct reflects on the entire field of animal welfare;
• respect other rescuers and persons in related fields, sharing skills and knowledge in the spirit of cooperation for the welfare of animals.
Re-home the beagles under BRV's guardianship with appropriate scrutiny and the utmost care based on the following:
• all beagles being re-homed will be desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, life-time registered, free of internal and external parasites and heartworm and all known health conditions treated appropriately;
• thoroughly interviewing potential adopters utilising a written application, telephone interview and home visit;
• obtaining landlord/real estate approval, in writing, for prospective adopters who rent or lease their residence;
• requiring adopters be at least 18 years of age;
• utilising a written adoption agreement which fully discloses all health and temperament information about each rescue beagle;
• temperament testing each beagle and exercising good judgment to assure the beagle's suitability for placement and to not knowingly place a vicious or otherwise temperamentally unsound beagle in an adoptive home, nor place a beagle in an adoptive home that may have a temperamentally unsound or vicious animal;
• providing follow-up advice and assistance to adopters; and
• committing to take back any rescue beagle placed at any time for the term of that beagle's natural life.
Persons representing BRV to conduct themselves professionally and ethically in all our business and personal dealings including:
• abiding by all written agreements entered into with a releasing agency or person;
• returning all methods of contact (phone calls and email) within three days, or to make alternative provisions to have calls handled by another rescue representative;
• paying agreed-upon fees to releasing agencies for rescue beagles, and agreed-upon expenses to private individuals who assist with acquisition, transportation, or temporary care of rescue beagles;
• striving to achieve high standards of animal care through continual learning, knowledge and keeping informed of current information, methods and regulations; and
• conducting our rescue activities on a voluntary basis, receiving no compensation for rescue work, nor expecting compensation for our efforts.